Indoor Herb Garden

Tuesday, December 1, 2009

I think that everyone should have an indoor herb garden on their windowsill. It's so simple to put together and so rewarding to have non-stop fresh herbs over the winter season that you grew yourself.

I have no choice but to grow alot of the herbs that I need because they usually aren't sold here. Caribbean herbs like Culantro and Oregano Brujo are two of the hardest herbs for me to find. The Culantro, I usually grow from seeds and the Oregano Brujo is best if grown from cuttings. These two herbs have such amazing flavor that I just couldn't afford to not grow them.

It is so easy and fun to put together a windowsill herb garden. All you need is potting dirt (I prefer Miracle Gro), small clay pots with saucers (clay works best for me and they are so cute!), your favorite herb seeds, and a sunny windowsill. If you are growing oregano or any mediterranean herbs, you may want to add some sand to the dirt mixture, they seem to grow better with sandy soil.

Start with clean pots. Wash them well in hot soapy water and rinse thoroughly. Add your soil about a half of an inch away from the rim.

Read your seed packet directions well. Some seeds only need to be sprinkled on top of the dirt, while others need to be buried under the dirt about a half inch or so.

DO NOT OVER WATER! I can't tell you how many plants of mine died in the hopes that I would one day get that tip. After you water them, you should always wait until the dirt is dry before you water them again.

With the combination of sunlight, patience, and opening the window every once in a while to let air circulate, you will have your own indoor herb garden.

If the wait for the seeds to grow is too long, you can always buy the herbs already grown in your local garden center.
Happy Gardening!

0 comments:

Post a Comment