Let's talk Pots and Pans

Monday, November 30, 2009

Believe it or not, what you cook your food in has a big impact on how your food turns out. My first pot set was a cheap one and when I say cheap, I mean badly made and inexpensive. After torturing my food for awhile and feeling like I was never going to cook anything edible, I thought " What am I doing wrong?" That's when I realized that I had the wrong pots (not to mention that I had the burner on ridiculously high). My food was sticking and burning to the thin metal exterior of the pots and they would be near impossible to clean.
The first "real" pot set that I bought were completely non-stick with silicon utensils. These are the pots that I use on a daily basis depending on the menu. They are easy to clean and care for, definitely a good investment.
My next pot set was a must-have for cultural purposes. Every kitchen should have at LEAST one Caldero. My set of Calderos (cast iron/dutch oven style pots) are essential to making so many dishes in the Caribbean culture. Its design is made to contain and distribute heat evenly and quickly. In most cases when the knob on the lid is metal or heat-proof, you can bake or roast with it as well, now that's an investment!
My favorite pans at the moment are the Pyrex glass baking pans, and any good quality, heavy-bottom Baking Sheets and Jelly Roll pans. The Pyrex glass pans never fail to get my baking and roasting needs met, and allow the easy clean-up in the end.
Ultimately, no matter which pots and pans you decide to use, remember to keep an eye on your food while it's cooking and adjust the temperature accordingly.

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

I have a cast iron skillet!!!!!...however, i never use it! LOL....I love your blog!!Katie

Post a Comment