My Brooklyn "Italian Spots"

Sunday, January 24, 2010

When I take my trips to visit home in Brooklyn, I find it harder and harder not to make a stop at all of my favorite "Italian Spots" as I call them. L&B's Spumoni Gardens, Randazzo's, Royal's, and a few up and down 86th Street. The food is unbelievable and unreplicable. I cannot tell you how many different states I've been to where they claim to have "Brooklyn Pizza" or "New York Style Pizza" and the pizza always tastes nothing like it. The truth is, if you want "New York or Brooklyn Style Pizza" you have to go there, period.
Where I live, it's very hard to find a good "Italian Spot", so I make my own pizza, foccaccias, bread, rice balls, calzones, parmigiana and all of my italian faves. I save alot of money and I can adjust the fat, salt, sugar, and quality of the ingredients to my liking. It may not be "New York Style" but it's MY style. It's also alot of fun.
Here is my version of White Pizza.

White Pizza

Dough
3 cups Bread Flour
1 Teaspoon Salt
1 Tablespoon Sugar
2 Packets Dry Yeast
2 Tablespoons Olive Oil
1 1/2 cups Lukewarm Water

White Sauce
1 Tablespoon Olive Oil
1 small Onion minced
3 cloves Garlic minced
1 cup Heavy Cream
1/2 Teaspoon Dried Thyme
1/2 Teaspoon Salt
1/2 Teaspoon Black Pepper

Ricotta Mixture
2 cups Ricotta Cheese
1 Teaspoon Salt
1 Teaspoon Dried Thyme
1/2 Teaspoon Black Pepper
1/4 cup chopped fresh Parsley
1 cup Mozzarella Cheese

Preheat oven to 400F.
In a large bowl mix all of the ingredients for the Dough, wet ingredients first. Knead into a smooth ball (use more flour if needed) and place into a lightly oiled bowl. Cover the bowl with plastic wrap and let sit for 1 hour.
Meanwhile, saute the onions, garlic, salt, pepper, thyme and olive oil for the White Sauce 5-6 minutes. Add the heavy cream and saute for another 3 minutes. Set aside to cool.
In another bowl, mix together all of the ingredients for the Ricotta Mixture and place in the refrigerator.
After the hour is up on the dough rising, punch the dough down in the bowl and knead for 2 minutes. Turn the dough out onto a floured surface and roll into the shape of your pan ( I use baking sheets and I leave them ungreased for a crunchy crust).
After putting the dough onto the pan, press down with your fingertips to make indentations all over the dough. Bake the dough by itself for 10 minutes.
When the dough has cooled for about 20 minutes, spoon dollops of the Ricotta Mixture all over the crust leaving little mounds everywhere. Next, pour the White Sauce all over the crust covering everything except the borders. The pizza is now ready to be back into the oven. Bake 15-20 minutes, or until golden and bubbly (keep an eye on it). Let it cool abit before eating, and garnish with fresh parsley and parmesan. Enjoy!

*You can use this recipe to add all kinds of different toppings. My husband and children love to make pizza as well. Don't miss the opportunity to have a great moment with your family, even if it is just to make pizza.

0 comments:

Post a Comment