Thanksgiving

Wednesday, November 25, 2009

Thanksgiving in my family is very different from the traditional American Thanksgiving. Our menu is full of Caribbean flavor and vibrant colors. My family is Puerto Rican and my husbands family is Trinidadian, so food always has bold and bright flavor in our home. This year our table will have Turkey (Pavo),Cornbread stuffing, Plantain mash (Mofongo), Rice and Pigeon Peas (Arroz con Gandules), String Beans with roasted Garlic, and a beautiful Red onion and Tomato salad (Ensalada de tomates). Of course, it wouldn't be a holiday in our house without the Coquito, a coconut based Puerto Rican egg nog with a good amount of rum. Delicious!

From the garden, I cut and washed my banana leaves, picked peppers (ajicitos dulces & bell peppers), and rounded up all of my herbs to cook with (sage, rosemary, parsley, cilantro, culantro and oregano brujo). I'm ready!

For me, there's nothing better than family getting together, talking, laughing and enjoying good food. In my home, my husband and the kids help out with the cooking and love goes into every dish. I hope you all enjoy your Thanksgiving holiday this year and dont forget to GIVE THANKS!

4 comments:

Krista said...

You have a lucky family, Amanda :) Happy Thanksgiving!

Anonymous said...

Hi Amanda!!!
Love the blog. Bringing the the Caribbean to the South. Lovin it and you. Miss ya
Lucy

Amanda said...

Thank you Lucy, Are you doing the traditional Thanksgiving this year?

Anonymous said...

OMG!!! i want some of that rum eggnog...Hope u and your family have a great thanksgiving!!
xoxo KATIE

Post a Comment